Society regards education as a means to prepare students for a career in which they can provide financially for themselves and their families. Christian education endeavors to provide a means to achieve so much more than just financial comfort and stability. It is the responsibility of Christian educators to prepare students to take an active role in bringing God's transforming and healing power to others. 1 Peter 4:10 states,
Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in various forms.
In light of this conviction, RLCA has developed programs and activities in order for students to have opportunities to serve others and to be a reflection of Jesus Christ in their community and abroad.
Students serve their local community by individually volunteering in agencies of their choice as part of the school's Community Service Program. This service learning program provides student an opportunity to be involved in their communities and to use their gifts to serve others. Since its inception in 1998, hundreds of students have cumulatively served thousands of hours in local agencies and touched countless lives sharing the love of Jesus. During the last two years, students have served with the following local agencies:
- Paris Foundation - Students collected socks, gloves, and scarves for the needy in Elkton, Maryland.
- Community Kitchen - Students served meals to the needy in Maryland.
- Sunday Breakfast Mission - Students served meals and donated food to the homeless in Wilmington.
- Samaritan's Purse (Operation Christmas Child) - Students collected small toys and selected toiletries and filled Christmas boxes for needy children here and abroad.
- Rake and Run - A school organized community outreach activity in which more than 350 upper school students raked leaves for families in the surrounding community.